Smart Kitchen Thermometer
Author: Diptesh Das
Smart homes are a 21st-century thing. Well, why shouldn’t there be a touch of technology in every part of the house to make your life easier? Even kitchen devices, including the humble cooking thermometer, have been upgraded. You’ll find amazing smart kitchen thermometers on the market.
Many home grillers have destroyed the choicest steaks because they chose to eyeball it. So, using a thermometer is essential while cooking. A smart kitchen thermometer gives you the same edge as any other smart kitchen appliance does, giving you the gift of time and convenience.
But more on that later! For now, let’s first look at the best smart kitchen thermometers!
What is a Smart Kitchen Thermometer
A smart kitchen thermometer is your typical cooking thermometer to check the temperature of your food - only with a technological edge! That’s because it is equipped with IoT connectivity so that you can access it remotely via Bluetooth or WiFi. That’s quite like other smart kitchen appliances!
Best Smart Kitchen Thermometers
A smart kitchen thermometer can make cooking so much easier! You don’t need to stand in front of the meat all the time to check the thermometer and get information on the internal temperature. Here’s a list of the best smart kitchen thermometers that are available in the market now.
a) Yummly YTE000W5KB Premium Wireless Smart Meat Thermometer
This wireless meat thermometer is just what you need to set your meat cooking and stop worrying about it. It allows you to select the preferred level of doneness and then track the food being cooked using a smartphone or tablet. The timer will also send you an alert, so there’s no overcooking!
- A completely wireless thermometer with no messy wires for convenience
- Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity for better access using the free Yummly app on the phone
- Timer and alert system to remind when to flip or turn off the heat
- Assisted programs to set the right cooking time and temperature for different meat types
- Equipped with a steel probe to leave the thermometer in the food while it gets cooked.
- Better battery life required, as complained by few users
- Better stability of connection required, as per isolated complaints
b) Marsno Digital Meat Thermometer
This smart thermometer offers instant reading within a couple of seconds, and that too, with high accuracy. Whether you’re a home cook or a pro chef, you will find this device useful because of its high accuracy in reading. It is also waterproof, which means you can use it for all kinds of cooking.
- Fast reading within just 2-3 seconds
- High accuracy of ±0.9 F in temperature reading
- Dedicated function for easy recalibration process
- Can be used right after unpacking and flipping out the probe
- Waterproof thermometer for easy cleaning and monitoring of liquids and candies
- Magnet for sticking on the fridge body not strong enough
- No settings to keep the backlight on longer
c) MEATER Plus
This thermometer is a smart kitchen thermometer with a long range and is perfect for cooking all types of meat. It’s ideal for grills, smokers, ovens, and rotisseries. What’s more, the thermometer offers two types of connectivity - Bluetooth and WiFi. It’s also wireless for better convenience.
- Dual sensors to simultaneously read the meat’s internal and external temperatures
- Guided cooking system to offer help at every step for consistent results
- Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity to monitor your cook using a smartphone or tablet app
- Wireless thermometer with a long connectivity range for indoor and outdoor convenience
- Equipped with advanced algorithm to estimate the duration of cooking and resting food
- Complete submersion in liquid not recommended as it’s water-resistant, not waterproof
- Connectivity issues reported by some users as a result of distance or dirt on the device
Meat Thermometer Buying Guide
At the time of buying a meat thermometer that can be a part of your smart kitchen, you need to look for the right features in the device. The main feature of a smart thermometer, like any smart kitchen appliance, is IoT connectivity. But that’s not all. Check out the following features -
- Connectivity - The thermometer should be connected via WiFi and/or Bluetooth so that you can monitor and operate it remotely.
- Preset Temperature - The device should allow you to preset temperatures and should offer the USDA-approved options.
- Programmable Temperature - You can set a temperature and monitor the heat and time of your cook using the device.
- Timer - This will allow you to set a specific time on the basis of the duration for which you want to cook your food.
- Alert/Alarm - The device should be able to notify you on your phone or tab or by a loud alarm about the preset temperature or time.
- Auto Turn Off - The thermometer should be able to turn off on its own when it is not being used to save battery.
- Smartphone/Tablet App - You should be able to monitor or even control the thermometer using an app on your smartphone/app.
Pro-quality smart cooking thermometers should be designed to include all of these features, and maybe a few more. It might come with a background light for the display and a hold button to extend the time of display. It may also be free from wires and be designed to be used straight out of the box!
Smart cooking thermometers may have features so they can be used for monitoring temperatures of meat, liquids, and candy. For that, it’s best to find waterproof thermometers. If you want to use it for outdoor cooking or in a professional kitchen, make sure it has Bluetooth connectivity.
A standard kitchen thermometer requires you to keep a close eye on it. But a smart thermometer is the only option to get rid of this practice so that you can multitask and concentrate on different things while your food cooks away. It eliminates the chances of undercooking and overcooking!
If you are into cooking, a kitchen thermometer is a must. But if you have a smart kitchen, you need a smart thermometer that fits in. When you can have a trash can that can sense your movement or a coffee maker that can be controlled with a smartphone, why should a thermometer hold you back?